Monday 27 October 2008

Hanging's too good for 'em...


Here at the MoJ we're fed up with all this do-goody, liberal nonsense about the rights of offenders; nobody ever mentions the rights of the victims. When I hear phrases like 'criminogenic needs of offenders' it drives me nuts. First it is pretty impenetrable jargon designed to put a barrier between practitioner and public, and second because I profoundly disagree that we should describe someone's amoral desire to go thieving as a 'need' equivalent to that of victims or the law-abiding public.
And so I seek a return to 'Victorian notions' of crime and punishment. Screw rehabilitation, education and drug-treatment: lock 'em up and throw away the key, bring back the birch, string 'em up. Let's be crystal clear about this - they're all scum and deserve to rot away in my new Titan prisons: and that's just the prison reform lobby. I know what the public 'needs' - good old-fashioned Justice.

Jack Straw

Today's Haiku Film Review:

Victim (1961) -

Brave move for Bogarde:
From matinee idol to
Playing a lawyer!

No comments:

Post a Comment